The Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Pauline McKenzie was elected Mayor of the Borough of Bracknell Forest on 22 May 2019.
The Mayor has chosen Sandhurst Day Centre as her charity for her mayoral year.
This charity is close to the Mayor’s heart, as it offers our older residents the opportunity to:
- get out of the house
- keep their minds and bodies active
- learn new skills
- make new friends
- connect with the community and different generations
The centre is in the beautiful grounds of the Memorial Park Sandhurst. Residents come from all parts of the borough to enjoy this delightful and welcoming community. The Mayor is hoping that she will be able to secure the future of this beacon in our borough’s community.
If you would like to find out how you can help to contribute to the Mayor’s charity, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you will support the many fundraising events which will be held throughout her mayoral year.
The Mayor is a serving councillor elected to the office for one year at the Annual Council Meeting in May.
The Mayor’s responsibilities are:
- chairing full council meetings - the role of Mayor is not political and the Mayor has no formal power on decision making, except to chair council meetings
- making sure the council's constitution is followed
- organising and hosting a number of civic events
- representing the borough at ceremonial occasions
- supporting local schools, organisations and businesses by attending a wide range of events
The Deputy Mayor
Councillor Ash Merry was elected Deputy Mayor on 22 May 2019.
The Deputy Mayor attends events when the Mayor is unavailable.
Although there is no official role, the Deputy Mayor should be treated just like the Mayor as they are there on the Mayor’s behalf.
It is tradition at Bracknell Forest for the Deputy Mayor to be elected Mayor.
The Deputy Mayor may be invited to a function in their own right, but usually this only happens if they have a connection to the organisation or the event and has been approved by the Mayor.
It is more likely that they would be invited in their capacity as local Councillor.
Addressing the Mayoral party
To introduce the Mayoral party at your event and for invitations, written correspondence and publicity purposes:
- The Mayor of the Borough of Bracknell Forest, Councillor Pauline McKenzie
- The Deputy Mayor of the Borough of Bracknell Forest, Councillor Ash Merry
During an event:
- Mayor, Deputy Mayor