Carer's assessment

Why you may want an assessment

You can ask for a carers assessment if you provide unpaid care to an adult (aged 18 or over).

Caring for someone covers lots of different things, including:

  • helping with their washing, dressing or eating
  • taking them to regular appointments
  • keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious
  • shopping – even if it is once a week
  • regular welfare check

If this sounds like you, you are a carer.

How the assessment could help you

The assessment will look at the different ways that caring affects your life. It will work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment.

As a result, you may be eligible for support from the council. The council will also offer you advice and guidance to help you with your caring responsibilities.

Support might include:

  • a direct payment to spend on the things that make caring easier
  • practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break
  • being put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to

Can I have an assessment?

Any carer who appears to have a need for support can have an assessment.

You can have a carers assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the council, and they will not need to be assessed.

If both the carer and the person they care for agree, a combined assessment of both their needs can be undertaken.

For more information about the carers assessment and support for carers, see GOV.UK - support for carers

Contact information

Adult Social Care