Changes that need a building regulations application

Building regulations generally apply if you intend to erect or extend a building or dwelling. You will need to submit an application and obtain approval for this.

Before starting work

If building regulation approval is needed, an application must be made prior to starting work.

There are 2 types of application:

Work already carried out - regularisation certificate

Where work has previously been carried out without submitting an application and gaining building regulations approval, you may be able to apply for a regularisation certificate.

Porches and conservatories

A porch or conservatory built at ground level and with a floor area of no more than 30m2 is normally exempt. This is provided that any glazing and any fixed electrical installation complies with the relevant requirements of the building regulations:

Other projects

You may also need building regulations approval if you intend to:

  • install a bathroom that will involve plumbing
  • replace fuse boxes and connected electrics
  • change electrics near a bath or shower
  • put in a fixed air conditioning system
  • replace windows and doors
  • replace roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs
  • install or replace a heating system
  • add extra radiators to a heating system

Projects that do not need building regulations approval

There are some other projects which will not require an application and these include:

  • most repairs, replacements and maintenance work (except heating systems, oil tanks, fuse boxes and glazing units)
  • new power and lighting points, or changes to existing circuits (except around baths and showers)
  • like-for-like replacements of baths, toilets, basins and sinks
  • small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summer house if the floor area of the building is less than 15m2 and contains no sleeping accommodation
  • if the floor area of the building is between 15m2 and 30m2, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains no sleeping accommodation and is either at least 1 metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials

More information about when you need building regulations approval and planning permission is on the interactive guides on the planning portal.

If you need clarification on whether your project requires approval, contact us on 01344 354100. This number is for building regulation questions only.

If you have a question about planning, contact customer services on 01344 352000.

Contact information

Building control